Optimizing Document Workflow: A Case Study on DocuSign Migration
About the CustomerEstablished in 1974 in San Diego, California, Innovative Employee Solutions (IES) stands as a prominent provider of contingent workforce solutions, with expertise in Payrolling and Independent Contractor Compliance services. As a testament to its commitment to diversity and excellence, IES proudly holds certification from the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) and operates as a woman-owned and woman-operated company.
AbstractIn a bid to enhance efficiency and reduce costs, Innovative Enterprise Solutions (IES) embarked on a transformative journey to migrate their document signing process to more cost-effective DocuSign alternatives—Cognito and AlphaTrust. This case study delves into the technological aspects and the successful implementation of DocuSign migration, highlighting the utilization of various tech stacks associated with this migration project.
BackgroundWith the increasing need for a optimized and budget-conscious document signing solution, IES recognized the potential for cost savings and improved user-friendliness in DocuSign alternatives. Cognito and AlphaTrust emerged as viable options, offering not only economic advantages but also robust features, including conditional logic and customizable tabs.
Technological StackThe migration was executed utilizing the MEAN Stack, a powerful combination of MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS, and Node.js. This full-stack framework provided the flexibility and scalability needed for the project. Power Automate and D365 were seamlessly integrated to automate workflows and manage tasks efficiently.
ChallengesThe transition to DocuSign alternatives (Cognito and AlphaTrust) presented a multifaceted set of challenges that demanded a meticulous approach to ensure a seamless migration process. One of the foremost hurdles was the intricacy associated with data migration. Migrating a substantial volume of forms and associated data from one platform to another required a careful examination of data structures, formats, and ensuring compatibility between the systems. The risk of data loss or corruption during this migration necessitated the implementation of robust strategies and meticulous testing procedures.
Another critical challenge pertained to the need for uninterrupted workflows. The shift from one document signing solution to another required a delicate balance to be struck to avoid disruptions in ongoing processes. This involved careful consideration of dependencies, integrations, and user training. To mitigate potential downtime, a phased approach was adopted, allowing for gradual implementation and testing, thereby minimizing any adverse impact on day-to-day operations.
Maintaining document integrity throughout the transition was an overarching concern. Documents are not mere files but critical assets carrying legal and business significance. Ensuring that each document’s content, signatures, and associated metadata were accurately transferred and preserved became a pivotal aspect of the migration strategy. The challenge extended to validating the authenticity of signatures post-migration and confirming that all requisite information was accurately captured in the new environment.
However, with a strategic and comprehensive approach, these challenges were successfully addressed. The chosen technologies, namely the MEAN Stack, Power Automate, and D365, played a pivotal role in overcoming these obstacles. Customized scripts and migration tools were developed to facilitate the seamless transfer of data while rigorous testing protocols were implemented to validate the accuracy and completeness of the migrated information. Additionally, a robust communication plan and training modules were devised to ensure that users were well-prepared for the changes, minimizing disruptions and expediting the adaptation process.
ImplementationThe migration involved the conversion of DocuSign forms into Cognito and AlphaTrust web forms. The MEAN Stack facilitated the development of dynamic and responsive interfaces, ensuring a smooth user experience. Power Automate was instrumental in automating repetitive tasks, and D365 played a crucial role in task assignment and management.
Features and BenefitsBeyond the evident cost-effectiveness, the adoption of Cognito and AlphaTrust ushered in a new era of enhanced functionality and user-centric features, contributing to a more sophisticated and seamless document signing process.
- Advanced Security Measures : Cognito and AlphaTrust introduced robust security protocols. The implementation of advanced encryption algorithms and multi-factor authentication mechanisms ensured the confidentiality and integrity of sensitive information, instilling confidence in both employees and clients.
- Mobile Compatibility and Accessibility : Both platforms demonstrated superior mobile compatibility, allowing users to sign and manage documents on the go. The responsive design and intuitive interfaces adapted seamlessly to various devices, providing a consistent and convenient experience regardless of the platform or screen size.
- Real-Time Collaboration : The migration to Cognito and AlphaTrust facilitated real-time collaboration on documents. Multiple stakeholders could simultaneously review, edit, and sign documents, significantly reducing turnaround times and enhancing collaborative workflows. This feature proved invaluable, particularly in scenarios where swift decision-making was paramount.
- Audit Trails and Compliance : The platforms excelled in providing comprehensive audit trails, offering a detailed record of document activities. This not only enhanced transparency but also ensured compliance with regulatory requirements. The meticulous tracking of every interaction with the document mitigated risks and provided a robust foundation for legal and regulatory adherence.
- Integration Capabilities with Power Automate and D365 : The synergy between Cognito, AlphaTrust, Power Automate, and Dynamics 365 created a harmonious ecosystem. Integration capabilities allowed for seamless data flow between systems, automating tasks, and ensuring a unified experience. This interoperability significantly reduced manual interventions, minimizing errors and enhancing overall operational efficiency.
- Scalability and Customization : Both platforms demonstrated a high degree of scalability, accommodating the growing needs of IES. Additionally, the MEAN Stack architecture provided a flexible foundation for further customization. This adaptability empowered IES to tailor the platforms to specific business processes and requirements, ensuring a personalized and evolving solution.
- User Training and Support Services : Recognizing the importance of user adoption, Cognito and AlphaTrust offered comprehensive training modules and robust support services. This commitment to user education ensured a smooth transition and empowered employees with the necessary skills to leverage the full potential of the new platforms.
ResultsWithin a span of 3 weeks only, IES successfully migrated 170 forms, marking a significant achievement. The company experienced a notable reduction in costs associated with document signing while simultaneously improving the overall user experience and efficiency of their workflows.
ConclusionThe migration from DocuSign to Cognito and AlphaTrust exemplifies how strategic technology adoption can result in substantial cost savings and operational improvements. IES has successfully transitioned to a more agile and cost-effective document signing solution, setting a precedent for other enterprises seeking similar enhancements.
Blue Summit offers consulting for a cost-effective alternative to DocuSign, and services ensuring a smooth migration of forms and documents. With a focus on affordability without compromising on functionality, Blue Summit provides expertise on such forms migration projects. With skills on Cognito Web Forms, AlphaTrust and DocuSign Web forms, Blue Summit is preferred choice for such migration requirements.
At a GlanceCustomer: Innovative Employee Solutions, San Diego, California
Innovative Employee Solutions (IES) is a leading provider of contingent workforce solutions, specializing in Payrolling and Independent Contractor Compliance services. Founded in 1974 in San Diego, CA, IES is a woman-owned woman-operated company certified by the WBENC. IES offers services world-wide, in over 150 countries globally and across the industries, including IT, Software, Defence, Media, Finance and more.
Blue Summit, with the help of its Microsoft Dynamics CRM, MEAN Stack development teams, iOS and Android app development team, and QA specialists, migrated IES’s existing customer portal of Microsoft Dynamics CRM 365 to a custom web portal.
IndustryWorkforce Solutions, CRM
Key ResultsA fully functional stand-alone custom web portal, fully migrated away from MS Dynamics CRM. Additional functionalities via integration of 3rd parties, an integrated dashboard and portal fully interworking with Dynamics CRM via it’s APIs. IES is able to save thousands of dollars every year on subscription cost, as well as benefitted with a set of new functionalities and integrations that were not possible while being inside tightly-couple Dynamics Portal.
- Design: Bootstrap Responsive Design
- OS: Linux, Android, iOS
- Languages: Java Script, AngularJS, NodeJS, MS Dynamics CRM APIs
- Database: SQL, MongoDB, MySQL, SQLite
- Third Parties: Accelitas, Daxtra, DocuSign, ipify
- Deployment: Microsoft Azure